Monday, May 5, 2014

Sudden Transfer to Young Single Adults Ward


Me and my new companion, Sister King
Sister King has already been in this area for 5 transfers (about 6 months) which is as long as I've been on my mission. She'll have spent half her mission here by the end which is a really long time. Her last companion just got her visa to go to Brazil, so President called me Tuesday morning and I packed and went to the office that afternoon and sister Shell flew out and I took her place here. It's been a crazy week but I love it so much!!

I am in the Sam Houston 1st YSA ward which covers 3 stakes and consists of Young Single Adults (18-30) in that area. My new companion is Sister King. She is a STL like my trainer was so we'll be doing frequent exchanges with other sisters which are always opportunities for growth. I love it here. Sister King and I work great together and we have so much fun. YSA wards are a lot different from a normal family ward, our focus is on the specific age group that attend our ward, so we don't go tracting quite as much but we do a lot of talking to people at parks and give a lot of referrals to other missionaries. We're also trying to find better ways to work with members. Our ward is going to grow with everyone coming home or working here for the summer and this ward has sooo much potential we're just trying to figure out how to tap it. 

My whole week has been amazing, for example, here's Wednesday:

Went to a chevy dealership to take our cruze in because of a recall and ended up getting a rental (black chevy impalla for Aedan's sake). We got to talk to some people there and had a great conversation with a woman that lives in the boundaries of my last area, Magnolia. She was super sweet and hopefully the missionaries there will get to talk to her more.

We went to "The Mission" a Christian group that meets at Lone Star College. It was the last meeting of the school year, and it was an interesting experience. It was a lot different than anything else I've been to and it was super weird to be back on a college campus again with everyone my age as a missionary, but the people there are great! They have incredible faith and love God. We got into a slightly heated discussion with a couple of the people there, but when we remembered to testify and let the Spirit teach it was much better.

Had the most fantasticly legit mexican tostadas I've ever eaten in my life and then we went to a lesson with Sandra, one of our investigators. One of the perks of having an area the size of 3 stakes is that you can do lessons at the temple. It's amazingly powerful. We got there and met up with Sandra and a member of our ward and we got to go sit in the waiting room in the temple and have our lessons there. As soon as we sat down Sandra said, "I've decided I want to be baptized." She has been reading and coming to church for a couple months and recently had an incredible experience reading some verses somebody marked for her in the Book of Mormon that answered all of her concerns. The Spirit told her that this decision would make her so happy and that she shouldn't wait any longer and she's so excited. It's amazing. There are so many miracles happening here.

Thurs, Fri, Sat were great. Talked to lots of people, visited lots of people and had a wonderful zone meeting with other missionaries on the importance of talking with everyone and doing all we can to Hasten the Work of the Lord. Sunday was so fun. It was so different being in a Singles ward...sacrament was dead silent, missionary correlation meeting was a lot funnier, lots of funny couples who just need to get married already, everyone is my age, and our ward leaders are still learning how to do a lot of things but they're working so hard. I also have a friend in the ward! Someone I worked with at Aspen Grove last summer, Amy, comes to this ward and she's home for the summer. How exciting! It was so good to see her.

Sorry for the crazy long email, but that just scratches the surface of all the amazing things that happened this week. I know it's because we've been putting all our efforts into doing all we can here and talking to everyone. The Lord i blessing us. This is His work and He is involved in it.

Love you bunches!!


No comments:

Post a Comment