Monday, April 7, 2014

Love


Wasn't General Conference Spectacular!?

For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a church conference that happens twice a year in Salt Lake City and is broadcast to the whole world! What a wonderful opportunity to learn from living prophets and apostles in our day.

I usually try to listen to conference with a few questions on my mind because when I do I get very specific answers from a couple of the talks that are given. I also find that the more time I've spent contemplating questions the more direct my answers are. 

So I was trying to prepare questions weeks before conference came around. As I was doing this, I'd write down a question and then go study about it during our study time in the morning. And guess what happened? I found answers. So then I didn't have a question to take to conference anymore! So I'd come up with another one and the same thing would happen. It was almost frustrating, but who complains about getting answers? I'm certain that that process was the Lord helping me understand how to continue to find answers when there's not General Conference in the near future and it was an enlightening way to study, and one I hope to continue.

I finally gave up on a question for conference and just went with a topic. I wanted to learn more about love. I've been trying to learn how to love the people around me more, how to love my companions, how to show that love to others and I think one of the big themes of Conference was love.

Our Prophet, President Monson talked specifically on that topic, but it was also covered by many other speakers. I learned to try to be more aware of the needs around me and respond to them. President Monson also taught that we are to love and serve this portion of mankind--those who are around us and with whom we interact with day to day. He emphasized love as the very essence of the gospel. 

As missionaries we get training from our mission leaders every so often, and this week we had training about the first principle we teach people. God is our loving Heavenly Father. Everything else in the gospel builds upon that understanding. As we understand God's love for us we learn to love Him and those around us. As we show our love to those around us and for God we feel His love more fully in our lives. It's an amazing cycle.

Also, in accordance with Elder Ballard's invitation for all of us to study Preach My Gospel, I want to share something from there and invite you to study the topic more, see what you can learn from Preach My Gospel. PMG pg 32 has many scriptures about the nature of God and His relationship to us, first and foremost that God is our loving Heavenly Father. I love 1 John 4:7-9 which says, "Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him."

I have felt that love more for the investigators I have the privilege of teaching as we've listened to their concerns and help them understand how to know truth for themselves and how to continue to come closer to Christ. In addition to my answer on the topic of love I also got answers for those we're teaching here in Magnolia. 

Truly the Lord is aware of us and our needs and the needs of others we may be able to help. I am grateful for you and all you do and your examples of love and service to others. Keep up the good work and continue to look for ways to add a little kindness to the world. I love you!

Love,

Sister Andreason

No comments:

Post a Comment