Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Vehicles and Growing Opportunities

So this Friday I was sitting in a police station contemplating the things that brought me there... there was the ride in the back of a police car (very uncomfortable things by the way) but wait, let me back up to the beginning.

Friday afternoon my companion and I were doing what we normally do, going to appointments and checking up on some people. We were driving down a road in the left lane. As we approached the light we were passing a plaza and a suburban had stopped to let a car into its lane, but the car kept pulling out into our lane without looking. My companion saw it a couple seconds before I did and screamed, I was driving so I slammed on the brakes and then BAM! THUMP. POOF! blink. blink. blink.

We were going fast enough that both the air bags deployed, but our seat belts did enough of the work that the airbags just produced a lot of smoke and dust (I guess that's what happens when the air bags deploy). I sat there a little stunned for a few seconds. I had the presence of mind to put the car in park and turn it off, but then the first thought to enter my mind was, "We need to call Elder Ohern" Not the police, Elder Ohern who is the vehicle coordinator for our mission and who you're supposed to call if you ever have an accident. So we found the phone, called Elder Ohern who immediately asked us if we had called the police. Nope. "Well hang up the phone and call the police and call me back after you call them." So we did, and by that time somebody else had already called it in and police cars showed up a minute later.

The cars were damaged enough that we couldn't drive them so they got towed off the street into the parking lot. Nobody was hurt, so we talked to the police, exchanged information, called Elder Ohern again who was coming to pick us up. The police were super nice and helpful with everything and since we were in kind of a sketch area and it was getting dark they offered to drive us back to the police station so we could wait there for our ride. The Oherns (A senior missionary couple) picked us up and took us to get something to eat.
As far as accidents go, this one wasn't bad. Our car is probably totaled, but it was one of the mission cars that was going to be retired soon, and nobody was hurt, and we were able to get a new car the next morning. The Lord definitely takes care of His missionaries.

As for the rest of this week. My beloved trainer left on Tuesday, so it's back to just 2 of us here. It's been a little bit of an adjustment to life without her, and I'm realizing things I still need to learn about the area that she helped a lot with. I didn't realize how good she was at planning things until I had to do it without her and realized how much I still struggle with that although I've definitely gotten better at it since coming out here. There's so much to keep track of. I was reflecting on my time at the MTC and you learn all the important basics of how to do missionary work, and teach people well, and increase your own spirituality, and then you get out in the field and they throw lots of other things at you. You've got to learn the area, and keep track of all the members and less actives and potential investigators, and do a whole lot of paperwork, and work with people who sometimes don't really want you there, or people who want you there but have a hard time doing anything you ask them to do.

So I've been trying to focus on the basics again. Qualify for the Spirit everyday. Be exactly obedient. Pray more, counsel with the Lord. Plan as best I can. Focus on the needs of others. Pray some more. I knew Sister Allred was leaving before we ever heard anything officially because I knew I would not continue to grow if she stayed. She'd taught me all she had to teach and I was going to learn more flying on my own with my companion who's even newer to the field than I am. I knew that this next little while was going to be a period of more intense growth, and it is! I'm learning a lot, and it's a little painful sometimes, but I know that as I keep working and doing the things I know how to do and rely on the Lord. I was reviewing some of our family's lists of New Testament scriptures today and I think 2 Cor 12:9 is very applicable, " And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness." I was also studying about Limhi and Alma and their people in the Book of Mormon, Mosiah 24 which teaches similar principles in the story.

As we rely on the Lord and His strength especially in the areas where we are weak his strength is able to help us more in those areas than areas where we are stronger and aren't required to rely on Him as much. So I'm going to keep growing this next week in areas where I am weak and I'm going to keep growing closer to God. I'm excited to see the enabling power of the Atonement more fully in my life so I can help others see it in their lives. "As your understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ grows, your desire to share the gospel will increase." "You cannot convert people beyond your own conversion." PMG.

I love you all!

Love, 

Sister Andreason

PS This is the truck we got to drive for a little while--felt like a real Texan in that thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment